BALTEK® VBC is an engineered core material produced from certified, kiln-dried and oriented balsa wood layers. Its unique mechanical properties and process ability are obtained by the optimal alignment of various layers.
BALTEK® VBC is an ideal, sustainable core material made of renewable resources with a very broad range of use. VBC is lightweight and sustainable as a matter - like all BALTEK® products.
LamPrep or AL600
LamPrep: micro-sanded surface treatment
AL600: coating reduced porosity and increases bond strength
48” x 96”
48” x 120”
Alternating layers in 0 / 90° grain orientation
*See lamellas figure below
· Melting temperature: Does not melt.
· Decomposition temperature: Greater than 450 °F (232°C).
· Flash ignition temperature: Greater than 400 °F (200°C).
· Density: 50 - 250kg/m3 (ISO 845).
· Insoluble in: Water, sea water, organic compounds.
· Soluble in: (Slightly) soluble in inorganic acids.
· General information: Stable under normal conditions and usage.
· Conditions to avoid: Temperatures above 400 °F (200 °C).
· Explosive limits in air: For wood dust clouds, 40 grams/m3(Lower Explosive Limit).
· Materials to avoid: Strong oxidizer can cause ignition and subsequent burning. Avoid exposure open flame or excessive heat.
· Dangerous decomposition products: Carbon Monoxide (CO), Carbon Dioxide (CO2), traces of low molecular weight hydrocarbons and organic acids.
· Eco toxicity: Natural product, unlikely toxicity.
· Mobility: Not soluble in water, therefore effects on groundwater are unlikely.
· Persistence and degradability: Natural wood product, biodegradable.
· Optimized mechanical properties
· Excellent fatigue resistance (e.g. +/-45° damage tolerance)
· Improved density distribution
· Homogeneous structure, easy to machine; stable even at thin panel thickness
· Excellent damping properties
· Ecological product from FSC®-certified plantations
· Superior skin adhesion
· Excellent fire behavior
· Marine: Hulls, bulkheads, superstructures
· Road and Rail: Floors, roofs, side skirts, front-ends, doors, covers
· Wind energy: Shear webs
· Building and construction: Composite bridge decks, platforms, concrete forms, temporary shelters
· Industrial: Sporting goods, Ski & Snowboard
· Aerospace: Floors, general aviation
· Defense: Blast protection
· Adhesive bonding
· Hand lamination / spray lay-up
· Pre-preg processing (up to 180°C)
· Resin injection (RTM)
· Vacuum infusion